My Running Mission Statement

IT'S BEEN ABOUT two years since I picked up the habit of running.  In which time, I have done the following:
  • Lost 62 lbs
  • Improved my heart health significantly
  • Crashed into the ground and mangled by money-makin' face
  • Gained 40 lbs back
  • Loved myself
  • Hated myself
  • Gave up
  • Tried again
  • Gave up again
  • Tried, yet again
I'm on the upswing again.  Winter's over and I'm more able (and inclined) to run because of the warmth, as well as the ability to see where I'm going.  Plus, I recently bought a pair of Brooks Adrenaline shoes, which have turned out to be a god-send for my poor, achin' feet. One of the biggest helps in my previous running attempts was the fact that my home at the time was conveniently located so I had a five-mile circuit I could enjoy running.

My current home is downtown.  While I certainly have more options as far as where I can run, there's definitely a different aesthetic to an urban run.  No longer can I breathe the fresh air of the parkway trail that made up 1/3 of my previous route.

That's alright.  I have to mix it up.  I have to be able to push myself when it's not very easy and, while that was a great way to start, being forced to run this new environment will only help (with the exception of my lungs).

I started this year with a goal of running a thousand miles.  A few factors were unknown to me at the time, such as free time in working, and I didn't quite realize how little sun I'd get for so long. That may have been a tad bit lofty.  I think I'm going to renegotiate that number down a little, as I've only run about 200 miles and it's already April.

No, in fact, I'm going to remove the number from it entirely.  Instead, I'm choosing to list my goal as a 13.1 mile run in two hours.  Hopefully I can manage this a bit more easily.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Senator Robert La Follette

The Me Conspiracy

#90: "Goodfellas" (1990)